Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Book Review: A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Hey Guys!

I'm back from my family trip to Hawaii! It was super nice to finally relax (I never realize how long I go without any time off until I finally take a break lol) but it's also good to be back home and sleeping in my own bed :) I've gotten really behind in reviewing the books I've been reading so the next few posts will mainly reviews. So let's just jump right in, shall we?

About a month (ish) ago, I finished a book called A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.


 I remember being really excited to read this book because it appeared to focus quite a bit on alchemy as well as witchcraft. At first the book started off really strong. The main character is Diana Bishop, a witch from a very powerful and illustrious bloodline but based on a childhood experience, she has rejected her magic and sees it more as a curse than a gift. She meets the mysterious vampire, Matthew Clairmont, a scholarly man with an interest in genetics. Unfortunately, this was where my enjoyment of the book fizzled out.

Diana and Matthews relationship doesn't so much grow into a romance but more jumps off a cliff into an ocean of cliche. Not to start any controversy, but their relationship reminded me of Bella and Edward from Twilight (I don't like that book series, I'll leave it at that for now, if you want to here my rant about it I could probably write a post about it if people want...). The relationship is similar in that Matthew (Edward character) is controlling and thinks that he knows what's best for Diana (Bella) and is always focused on protecting her, and Diana is almost an exact copy of Bella (in respect to her obsession of Matthew/Edward) except that she is a witch and isn't as clumsy as Bella (What? Bella is afraid to run from rapists because she knows she'll trip on her own feet. It's an actual part of the book).

I dunno guys, I finished the book more as a matter of principle than that I actually wanted to. I will admitf that the last few chapters were much stronger that the middle section but it still wasn't strong enough to redeem the book in my opinion.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you enjoyed reading Twilight, you will most likely enjoy this book, but if you didn't, it's probably a good idea to steer clear. But yeah, that's my two cents on that subject.

There are more book reviews to come so keep checking in guys! And if you want my opinion on a specific book, comment below and we'll start up a dialogue or something :)

But that's it for now guys,

Cheers,

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment