Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Book Review: Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Hey Friends!

It's time for another book review! As I stated in my last one, I've gotten behind in my reviewing so this one I actually finished about 2 and a half weeks ago.

This book is Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry.


Most people that I know have read at least one of her books even if it was only in school. I remember reading The Giver and Number the Stars during elementary school and I actually really enjoyed them even at a young age.

Lois Lowry is incredibly talented at creating alternate societies and worlds complete with traditions, hierarchy and history. In The Giver she gave us a glimpse of a world literally without colour or music with it's own secrets and darkness and Gathering Blue is much the same (according to Goodreads it's actually the sequel to The Giver even though it has none of the same characters).

At the beginning of the story, we are introduced to Kira, a young woman with a crippled leg that she's had since birth. Her mother has just died and she is now embarking into a world that scorns people with defects or injuries so much that as soon as someone is found to be crippled or hurt in such a way that they're medicine cannot heal it (i.e. broken bones), these people are put out into "the field" to be taken away by beasts.

The world in which Kira lives is incredibly archaic and even a bit barbaric but this society has arisen sometime in the distant future from now.

I really enjoyed reading this book but I found the ending a bit abrupt and somewhat unsatisfying. It leaves a lot of things unresolved and frankly, I found it disappointing. I think this is one of those books that could have benefited from being longer even though the short length was a nice change from lengthy novels. I feel that if Lowry had made the book a bit longer, she could have tied a few things together a bit better and had a bit more solid of an ending to leave the readers with....but that's just my opinion :P

Until next time,

Cheers,

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment