Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Book Review: Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

Hey guys!

So after this book review I'll be all caught up (Yay!) This book I had already started before I left for Hawaii and I took it with me thinking it would keep me occupied on the plane rides there and back.....
I was half right. I finished the book before we landed in Honolulu but holy crap was it a good one!

The book I'm referencing is Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd.


In this book we are introduced to Juliet Moreau, the daughter of a doctor who was hailed for his medical knowledge until he was accused of vivisection (dissection of living creatures) and he disappeared from society and thought dead. Juliet and her mother continued to live in London in somewhat high society thanks to her mother becoming a mistress but after her mother dies, Juliet is turned out into the streets to find honest work cleaning at a medical university. When she runs into her father's assistant and her childhood friend Montgomery, Juliet learns that her father is in fact alive and living on an island around Australia. She demands for Montgomery to take her to her father and she is reunited with him after more than 3 years of thinking him dead. Along the way they pick up a castaway, the mysterious Edward Prince whom is instantly smitten with Juliet though she doesn't seem to feel the same way.

Through the story, Juliet learns that the people she thinks she knows are not who she thinks they are and that the island holds dark secrets about everyone, including herself.

Guys, I enjoyed this book so much! It was gripping and high energy all the way till the ending. I never once felt bored while reading and I thought that the characters were solidly written and incredibly strong. I find that the majority of the books I enjoy are books that have a strong build of action running all the way through with a bit of romance mixed in. If the romance becomes the main focal point, I get annoyed and a little bit bored, but if it's all action and adventure all the way through and there are two characters with amazing chemistry and NOTHING happens between them, I get very frustrated. This book was a very good example of the right balance of action and romance :)

I also felt that this book has such strong imagery, there is quite a bit of potential for a movie adaptation to be made (and when I say movie adaptation, I mean a 5-6 hour long movie that doesn't cut anything from the book lol). I highly recommend this book to all those action/horror/romance lovers out there and if you end up reading it, let me know what you think about it!

That's it for now!

Cheers,

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment