Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

DIY Hollow book

Hullo Folks!

So I didn't realize how many gifts I made instead of buying this year until I started writing these blogs lol. Here is yet another gift that I made for someone. The ever awesome, Hollow Book!

Basically the idea behind this is to have a secret spot to hide a few items while people think that its a real book.

You will need:
  • a hardcover book
  • ruler
  • box cutter
  • pencil 
  • glue
  • sponge or brush

Start by finding a hardcover book to sacrifice. I tried to find some old books in my house but none of them were hard cover. If you run across that problem too, Indigo and Coles have sale sections where you can get a hard cover book for as little as $5! Measure around the edge of the pages to the width you want the edge to be. Draw your rectangle onto the first page of the book and cut out with box cutter. Continue until all the pages are gone. I found that while cutting the corners of the box I was shaping kept getting kind of messy.

 
I kept trying to fix them but eventually I just gave up and went with it! Depending on how thick the book is, it may take anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours to get all the pages cut and get all the little bits that are left over out. Once that is done, apply glue to the inside and outside edges of that paper and allow it to dry with something heavy on it. The weight is to help the pages dry straight instead of getting wavy like wet paper usually does. Once it's dry you can decorate the book however you like. The person I made the book-box for has fairy simple tastes so I decided to leave the cover blank.


I tied it with a pretty ribbon that I found in my room (does anyone else save ribbons form gifts? No? Just me?) and it was ready to go!

If you guys try this out let me know how it goes! I'd love to see pictures of your project as well!

Cheers,

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment