Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

Book Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Hello fellow book-worms,

I felt it was time to post something about books and since I recently finished a book, why not review it for you lovely people!

About a week ago, I tore through Scarlet by Marissa Meyer and when I say 'tore through', I mean that I finished it in a day and a half....

It was nice to finally finish a book because since the start of the new year I've probably started about 5 books and this is the first one I've actually officially finished reading cover to cover. What made this book so hard to put down was the type of story it was. I am a huge fan of sci-fi, fantasy, alternate reality type books and if there's a bit of romance thrown in, bonus.

Scarlet is the sequel to Meyer's first book, Cinder, which is a sci-fi take on the classic story Cinderella which I read earlier in 2012.

Now, before you start jumping I really need to say that the parallels between Cinder and Cinderella are fairly minimal. There is a character named Cinder (duh!), there's a prince and a wicked step-mother and step-sisters and there is a scene where Cinder loses her shoe......but that is where the parallels stop. One of the main plot twists is that Cinder is a cyborg (not a spoiler) living in New Beijing. In a world where robots are considered servants, Cinder is a second class citizen who has become a skilled mechanic. She meets Prince Kai when he brings her an android to be repaired. With added threats of a hostile Lunar race and an aggressive disease without a cure, the pace of the book moves quickly without being overwhelming.

Scarlet continues Cinder's story while introducing a few new characters to the story, a girl named Scarlet Benoit who is based off of Little Red Riding Hood and a man simply called "Wolf". The story begins in France 2 weeks after Scarlet's grandmother has gone missing and just as Wolf, a mysterious cage fighter, enters her life. They set off together to find Scarlet's grandmother and rescue her from her kidnappers.

I found this book to be a very enjoyable read. It may not be exactly the most enlightening piece of literature but the strongly written characters and driving plot reminds me a bit of Harry Potter, a series that I also read at an incredibly rapid speed. I also felt that the way Marissa Meyer layers details into her stories is very smooth and even clever. One of my biggest book pet peeves is when a story just all of a sudden adds something to the plot that makes everything fall into place magically and everything is happy in the end! (it just seems like amateurish writing is all I'm saying). As I said before, all of the details added in Scarlet blended with what was already established in Cinder which shows me that Meyer put a lot of thought into her plot and how her characters interact with each other.

The one thing that I dislike about this series is how long I have to wait for each book! There are two more books coming out in the Lunar Chronicles: Cress ( featuring Rapunzel in the Sahara Desert, to be published 2014) and Winter (featuring Snow White on the Moon, to be published 2015). I am super excited for these books!

Anyways, that's all for now, guys!

Do you have any book suggestions? I would love to talk about books you have all read!!

Till next time,

Cheers,

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment